Search This Blog

Jan 15, 2012

The importunate widow woman and the unjust judge snack for kids






I was trying to come up with a snack to go with our lesson on the parable of the widow woman and the unjust judge, and was having a really hard time. I was racking my brain trying to come up with a snack that looked like a gavel. I found a gavel cookie cutter online but that didn't do me any good cause I didn't have one. Wish I would have had one then I would have made gavel cookies for the kids.

I decided to make up some little sandwich bags and filled it with some chocolate animal cookies. (Yes, I realize chocolate animal cookies has NOTHING to do with the unjust judge and widow woman lol) I bought some Avery 75 count 1" x 3" Removable Label Pad. I added a label to the front each sandwich bag. I just drew a little gavel on the front and wrote "Luke 18:1-8 The widow woman and the Unjust Judge. You might also know it as "The importunate woman and the unjust judge".

You could also make small gavels using pretzel sticks and snicker bars. Just shove a pretzel stick into the side of a snickers bar. That's it! You could make up a whole bunch and lay them all out on a tray. Lay a notecard with the words, "Luke 18:1-8 The widow woman and the unjust judge" written on it down on the tray with the little gavels you made up.

Want a larger snack? You could also make a large gavel snack by taking a large pretzel rod and shove it through a large marshmallow. Add a cookie to each side of the marshmallow using frosting as glue. Then dip the end of the gavel into melted chocolate. You could cover the whole thing in chocolate if you want. This is totally up to you.

Make a gavel craft to go along with it.
Try printing this gavel out and glue down on construction paper. Comes in black and white so the kids can color it first. And we have a colored one that you can print out. This is a picture of the finished craft that one of the kids in my class did.










Luke 18:1  And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Luke 18:2  Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:

Luke 18:3  And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.

Luke 18:4  And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;

Luke 18:5  Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.

Luke 18:6  And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

Luke 18:7  And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

Luke 18:8  I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?



Here is a printable template of just the scripture.